A support group is a gathering of people who are caring for a family member or friend with dementia.
The purpose of this group is to provide support to the members and thus allow them to cope better by:
- Sharing their feelings and experiences
- Learning more about the disease and giving care
- Giving family carers an opportunity to talk through problems they are facing or choices they have to make
- Listening to others who share similar feelings and experiences
- Helping others through the sharing of ideas and information and providing support
- Offering family carers a break and a chance to get out of the house
- Encouraging family carers to take care of themselves in order to safeguard their health and well being
- Knowing they are not alone.
Please discuss availability and attendance with staff
Dementia Australia ACT is the peak body representing the interests of people affected by dementia in the Australian Capital Territory. If you would like to attend a group or to find out more, contact us or call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.